Are some signs to precede the General Judgement?
- Before the General Judgement there will be peace and security which exclude terrifying signs so then it would seem that there would not be any signs!
- But the signs are to manifest something, but the coming will be hidden “like a thief in the night” Our Lord says
- When Our Lord came the first time there were no signs that preceded the coming so not fitting for when He comes the second time.
The first coming Christ was hidden at a predestined time but in second coming He will be manifest at a hidden time
Now to these objections we say
There are four Principal signs (Council of Trent) (Just before general judgement):
a) preaching of Gospel throughout the world (Mt. 24,14)
b) apostasy from the Faith
c) coming of Antichrist (II Thes 2,2-3)
d) conversion of Jews (Rom 11,25-32)
Other signs related in Gospels (throughout all times) :
a) external persecution (Lk 21, 12-17) it is partially until now, but will be complete under Antichrist
b) internal persecution, “Many come saying I am Christ” (Mt. 24,4) = heresies & great apostasy
c) great wars among nations (Mt. 24,6-7) = throughout all times
d) natural signs, earthquakes, pestilence, famine etc. (Mt. 24,7) = always existed
- foreknowledge would only serve to make us presumptuous or fearful
- certain signs are fitting on account of the dignity of His judiciary power (inducing reverence and subjection) = to prepare men’s hearts to submit themselves to their judge
- these signs have always been present but will become worse at the end.